Top Rated Articles

Wedding Invitations Don'ts

By Sarrah Beaumont | 5 Rating | Published 2009-07-21 18:24:23

Much is already written regarding weddin...
Read more..

Car Bodywork Paint Repair Restoration Techniques - Spray Painting

By Mario Goldstein | 5 Rating | Published 2009-07-22 21:11:32

When buying a car one of the biggest cho...
Read more..

How Do I Make My Home Insurance Company Hurry Up?

By Anthony Peck | 5 Rating | Published 2009-08-07 05:45:36

Is there anything more frustrating that ...
Read more..

Do You Really Need Car Insurance

By Warren Fets | 5 Rating | Published 2009-08-21 03:45:27

There are many advantages to having car ...
Read more..

So What Do You Really Know About Fashion?

By Benedict Smythe | 5 Rating | Published 2009-08-24 15:48:39

Fashion is extremely seductive, slightly...
Read more..

See the Temple Of Greece By gulliver travel

  in Travel | Published 2016-07-22 07:57:13 | 268 Reads | Unrated

Summary

Greek islands holidays to Mykonos, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Milos, Ios, Folegandros, Crete, Rhodes, Corfu and many more. Book Now!

Full Content

Local marble was used for the Temple of Poseidon's Doric columns; 15 of the original 34 survive today. The columns were cut with only 16 flutings instead of the usual 20, which reduced the surface area exposed to the wind and sea water.

Gulliver travel provide you a best Travel packages to Greece, Search for your fairy-tale romance in the Greek islands, Honeymoon Greece packages, Greece travel agency

trong>, Greece island tours a perfect honeymoon destination bathed in sunlight all year long.

On the east side of the main path is an Ionic frieze made from 13 slabs of Parian marble. Badly eroded now, it depicted scenes from the battle of the Lapiths and centaurs and from the adventures of the hero Theseus (son of Poseidon in some legends).

The east pediment, on which only a seated female figure is preserved, probably once depicted the battle between Poseidon and Athena for the domination of Attica.

History of the Temple of Poseidon

Soúnio has been a sacred site since very ancient times. The "sanctuary of Sounion" is first mentioned in the Odyssey, as the place where Menelaus stopped during his return from Troy to bury his helmsman, Phrontes Onetorides.

Archaeological evidence has shown that there were two organized places of worship on the cape by the 7th century BC: a sanctuary of Poseidon at the southern edge and a sanctuary of Athena about 500 m to the northeast.

What to See at Varlaam Monastery

Today, Varlaam Monastery is occupied by seven monks and can be accessed by a narrow bridge that runs from the main road. There is a pleasant garden in the compound, where a monk sometimes sits and chats with visitors.

The Late Byzantine katholikon of Varlaam has a cross-in-square plan with a west narthex, with a dome in each section. The frescoesin the main church were painted by the celebrated iconographer Frangos Katelanos of Thebes in 1548 (the date is inscribed on the south wall). The narthex was frescoed in 1566 by the brothers George and Frangos Kondares of Thebes.

North of the katholikon is the small "Parekklesion of the Three," an aisleless chapel dedicated to the three great bishops St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian, and St. John Chrysostom. Originally built by Varlaam in c.1350, it was repaired by the founders in c.1520, renovated in 1627 and decorated with frescoes in 1637.

History of Varlaam Monastery

In 1350, an ascetic monk named Varlaam climbed this great rock and settled at the top. He built three churches, a cell for himself and a water tank. No one chose to follow his lead, so after his death the site was abandoned.

The buildings fell into ruin for almost 200 years until 1517, when two rich priest-monks, Theophanes and Nektarios Apsarades from Ioanina, ascended the rock and founded a monastery. According to legend, they had to drive away the monster that lived in a cave on the summit before they could move in.

What to See at the Temple of Hephaestus

Located on Kolonos Agoraios hill overlooking the Agora, the Temple of Hephaestus stands on an elevated platform measuring 104 feet long and 45 feet wide. A Doric peripteral temple with some Ionic elements, the temple consists of a rectangular enclosure surrounded by an outer colonnade on all four sides.

The building is constructed of Pentelic marble and decorated with sculpture in Parian marble. The ceiling is wooden, the roof tiles are made of terracotta, and there is a limestone step at the bottom of the platform.

History of the Temple of Hephaestus

The Temple of Hephaestus and Athena was begun in 449 BC, just two years before the Parthenon. The project was sponsored by the Athenian politician Pericles and designed by an unknown architect whose handiwork can be seen throughout Attica. This temple was the first in Athens to be made of marble.

The temple has sometimes been called the Theseum due to a belief that it was a hero shrine dedicated to Theseus. This was based on the depictions of Theseus that occupy the metopes, but cult statues of Athena and Hephaestus (carved 421-15 BC) discovered in the temple have shown the designation to be incorrect.

21pbn

Comments

Add Comment:

About the Author